I had never worked with serverless before, I assumed it was a topic that was way out of my league 😅. But you proved me wrong!
One aspect that I liked was the live sessions we had on crowdcast. I got the opportunity to ask questions and watch you code an application step by step.
I would definitely recommend your bootcamps to others because this is a great opportunity to learn about emerging technologies and also connect with amazing people.Ineza Bonté (@inezabonte)
Attended Gatsby Summer Functions 2021
🎶 A little bit of backend in your life 🎶
You are a front-end developer. You are eager to move backwards in the stack. You heard Serverless is an excellent place to start!
However you are weary of getting tangled up in configuration h*ll (aws 👀). Or maybe you've completed the
hello world example, but could use some guidance on what to build next?
🎶 A little bit of Serverless on your side 🎶
Imagine being able to effortlessly develop and deploy Serverless functionality when needed.
Imagine knowing how to integrate with all the things and how to handle secrets on the server 🔐
Imagine not needing to wait for the backend devs to move ahead with straight forward backend functionality.
🎶 A little bit of Gatsby is all you need 🎶
Newly released Gatsby Functions radically simplifies how to write and deploy Serverless functions.
It removes the need for complicated configuration, letting you focus on developing and deploying the functionality you need.
A student of the 5 week summer program replaced a paid product with a single function in his first week 🤯
What you'll make?
One intended to find Pirate Princess Lillian, aged 11, to help break Lizabeth out of jail in London back in the year 1554.
Or in less creative terms:
- a Gatsby Serverless Function that takes data from a form and pushes it to a third party service
- a Gatsby Serverless Function that fetches the submitted date
- React code to displays the data on your page, and automatically updates with new data
If you are not into time-traveling, make the project your own or add similar functionality to your own existing Gatsby site.
What you'll learn?
- How to approach writing a function and splitting it into manageable tasks
- The structure of a good Serverless function
- How to handle secrets both in development and production environments
- The joys of data validation and error handling!
- Calling/polling/requesting a Serverless function from your site
- How to deploy to Netlify or Gatsby Cloud
- Save and retreive data from a third party service
The Mini Bootcamp Command Central is a private GitHub repo you'll get access to, and keep access to until the end of the year (at least).
The Discussions tab of the private GitHub repo will be our forum. There you may ask questions, discuss possible solutions and get to know the other current (and former) students.
Assignment + Starter Files
Saturday 10:00 CEST
We’ll start the week with a couple of days for you to try your hands at coming up with a solution on our assignment on your own, I promise it will make the live webinar so much more valuable!
Tuesday 20:00 CEST / 11:00 PST - 1.5 hour
See how a Gatsby Function is made from start to finish in the live webinar where I code through a complete example solution to our assignment. The recording will be made available.
Wednesday 10:00 CEST - 3 hours
Highly optional, but if you need some accountability, we'll be there to make sure you stay on task. We check in with each other 3 times but mostly work silently (virtually) side-by-side.
Thursday 10:00 CEST
The live webinar code will be available as a Pull Request in the private GitHub repo. Feel free to comment and ask questions directly on the Pull Request.
Celebratory Q&A Session
Saturday 20:00 CEST / 11:00 PST - 1 hour
Bring your questions, code, and or celebratory beverage to this live Q&A session.
Who am I?
I have been having fun on the web with code since the late '90s.
The person who first introduced me to HTML was my Norwegian teacher, and since then:
- I have completed a Master in Computer Science
- Built apps trusted by the Swedish Armed Forces, The Norwegian Water Resources and Energy Directorate, and others.
- Created POW! — the encrypted menstrual cycle journal made with Gatsby and many other skill-building side projects.
- Spoken at both Gatsby Days and Gatsby Camp, in addition to RuhrJS, JSConf Budapest, and more.
Last but not least, I started live-streaming my coding resulting in the weekly YouTube show Gatsby Deep Dives with Queen Raae and the Nattermob Pirates.
Sleek and "professional" I am not. My thing is informal, energetic, and fun. Failing code is part of the process, and together we figure out how to fix it. No need to conform to any ideas of how a coder should be or act; come as you are!
Wait! Don't take my word for it...
I would and I have recommended your bootcamps to others because for me, it wasn't just about creating serverless functions, it was in fact a mini-crash course into the art of software engineering in itself.
It cleared my doubts about my abilities to pull things off and seeing everyone go at it really helped boost my confidence delving into unfamiliar paths.Aremu Smog (@aremu_smog)
Attended Gatsby Summer Functions 2021
Develop and Deploy your first Serverless Function
Get started creating backend functionality by learning Gatsby Serverless Functions!
- Registration closed, sign up for emails to be notified of the next chance!